The Big Secret To Beautiful Skin Is No Secret - Eat More Fruits and Vegetables For Glowing Skin
Scientists have discovered that eating more fruits and vegetables makes skin glow and appear more attractive. They found that increased facial yellow tint was perceived to be more healthy. The study was able to link carotenoid coloration to perceived health and a healthy diet. This research study conducted in England and soon to be published in the Journal of Evolution and Human Behavior concluded that the best way to achieve glowing skin is to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in the diet.
The research consisted of volunteers rating the attractiveness of people"s skin tone. The volunteers consistently chose the skin of those subjects who were eating a fruit and vegetable diet over the ones who were tanned. The researchers believe that this healthy glow can be easily achieved in as little as two months. Although the study was done with Caucasians the team believes that the study could be applied to people of other races.
All fruits and vegetables make up a healthy diet, however the focus for this study was based on increased intake of carotenoids. These colorful plant pigments are powerful antioxidants. Some of these pigments can be turned into Vitamin A by the body. Vitamin A, also known as retinol play an essential role in the maintenance of skin, hair and the immune system. Beta carotene is the most important carotenoid for adequate Vitamin A. However, all the other carotenoids are still very important because of their high antioxidant value.
Good food sources of carotenoids include:
- Oranges and Yellows - Carrots, sweet potatoes, apricot, mangoes, yellow and orange bell peppers, contain a significant amount of beta-carotene
- Greens - Kale, spinach, green peppers,collard greens, watercress, also contain carotene and the best source of lutein
- Reds - tomatoes, red peppers, red onions - a good source of lycopene
Vegetables should be eaten raw or lightly steamed. Any prolonged cooking can reduce the amount of carotenoids available because they are extremely fragile. The one exception being tomatoes which increases its lycopene content the longer it is cooked.
It appears that the secret to beautiful skin is to simply increase the consumption of certain fruits and vegetables A diet high in carotenoids is able to protect the body from free radical cell damage and prevent chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. It now appears that these carotenoids can also make one look healthier and more attractive to other people. Healthy looking skin is indeed beautiful skin.
Joan Bernard invites you to read more articles on natural remedies and the role they play in keeping us healthy. Read all about some important herbs and spices for health and healing at http://www.thespicering.com
- Drinking Bottled Water - The Truth
- Gain Weight With Protein Shakes
- 4 Fantastic Micromineral Food Sources
- Tips to Getting a Six Pack - Good Juice?
- Bitter And Sour - Why Eat Vegetables?
- Preparing Kale - Surprisingly Delicious!
- Oil Rancidity - The Dangers of Polyunsaturated Oils
- Healthy Fat Food - Whole Foods Versus Oils
- How to Enjoy Your Restaurant Dinners and Parties While Sticking to Your Healthy Diet Plan
- Healthy Immune System Foods - Which Ones Are They?