Strategies for Healthy Aging
Aging is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors. Even though your genes are an important influence, there are changes you can make that can help you age in a healthier way.
According to some recent research, lifestyle factors can influence how we age and healthy habits can modify gene expression to slow down the aging process.
The following strategies can help you to take more control over how fast you age and your quality of life.
1. Eat less convenient food and more real food. Cook more, using fresh, real food and avoid prepackaged and fast food.
2. Downsize stress. Chronic stress can affect your physical and mental wellbeing. Cortisol, a stress hormone produced by the adrenal glands, can save your life in dangerous situations, but if you are in this mode all the time, it can wear you out mentally and physically. This can lead to diabetes, depression and memory
problems. Find an outlet like exercise, yoga, etc. Try to take time for yourself daily.
3. Challenge your mind. Keep your brain stimulated to fight the aging process. Learn new skills like a new dance. This will also help with balance and coordination.
4. Stay active. Regular exercise helps to decrease your risk of diabetes, heart disease, weak bones and muscles, stress and anxiety, depression and many more health issues. Thirty to 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity most days of the week can help. Walking, jogging and dancing are some examples.
The bottom line is to try to age gracefully with a quality of life that you deserve to have. I have seen what can happen when you make small changes, over time, to achieve a life full of health and vitality. It gives me great satisfaction to help someone achieve this balance.
It's not out of reach. Time to shed those layers of old habits for some wonderful, energizing new habits that fit you well!
Karen Russell, Certified Nutrition Health Coach Recipe 4 Wellness http://www.recipe4wellness.com
- Drinking Bottled Water - The Truth
- Gain Weight With Protein Shakes
- 4 Fantastic Micromineral Food Sources
- Tips to Getting a Six Pack - Good Juice?
- Bitter And Sour - Why Eat Vegetables?
- Preparing Kale - Surprisingly Delicious!
- Oil Rancidity - The Dangers of Polyunsaturated Oils
- Healthy Fat Food - Whole Foods Versus Oils
- How to Enjoy Your Restaurant Dinners and Parties While Sticking to Your Healthy Diet Plan
- Healthy Immune System Foods - Which Ones Are They?